Keyboard Year 1 class -- a couple of things for your info:
1) I would like to add 2 more classes. This week will be our 28th week (you paid for 28 weeks). This is two fewer than I have usually taught, but I chose to do it this way this year because I have a senior graduating and I was worried we would be going into the end of May. Anyway, as it turns out, I haven't needed to cancel much this year so we are finishing sooner than usual, anyway, and I would like a week 29 and a week 30 to work on our songs more and our keyboard skills, especially in regards to knowing the warm-ups in all the keys and also being sure we are proficient at the notation games. 28 weeks was a bit of a push...don't think I'll do that again! So, if you'll agree to pay an additional $17 (can't ask Susan to come for free
) I'd like to go ahead and do that. COULD YOU PLEASE RESPOND WITH A "YES" OR "NO" AS TO WHETHER OR NOT YOU WOULD BE OK WITH THAT? If we are all in agreement, that will make our last class May 7. If not, we will be done this week as best we can.
Fall Schedule Input forms are due by 8:00 AM, this FRIDAY the 25th. I will be creating the schedule on Friday, so it will be posted on the website and at the studio by NEXT week. Keep in mind, if you register byMay 31, you pay only $10/child or $20/family for the Registration Fee (it goes up after that) and it also holds your child's spot in class.
Which class for next year? One great thing about the Musikgarten curriculum is that it is very rich and very flexible. This is one of many reasons that Musikgarten meets every child's developmental needs, musically, socially, intellectually, and otherwise. This also gives you options in repeating curriculum when there are developmental reasons why a child may be better served by not moving ahead too quickly. Some considerations:
Physical Development: Is your child managing the actual playing of the keys? Is it a strain and struggle to play chords in the Left Hand while playing melody in the Right Hand? Is it because of lack of practice or hand size? If it is because of a lack of practice, it is very possible your child could gain these skills over the summer if s/he is practicing. You may want to schedule a few private lessons with me in order to insure that this development is moving along, especially if you are planning to have your child do Keyboard Year 2 next year.
Musical Development: Is your child singing in tune and able to keep a steady beat? How does s/he do with the notation games? Can s/he sing or chant and play each pattern correctly? Are the CD activities for the notation games very easy for your child? If not, s/he may need some more time to become better acquainted with this material. Again, a few private lessons over the summer may be sufficient, or, it may serve your child best to repeat Keyboard Year 1.
Parent Involvement: The statistic of learning to play the piano without adult supervision and intervention is too low to calculate, so please realize how important YOU are in making it all happen, and happen in a positive way. It can be done without too much difficulty if you are willing to try the things I will present to you. Know you will have the support you will need if you will be open to suggestions and ask when you need help. You will likely find that you will learn a lot, too, and it will be worth it to see how much fun and ease you child is having with music as s/he builds music into his/her life and the life of your family! Learning to play an instrument does take effort and a certain amount of commitment, but it can be FUN and VERY REWARDING!!!! Please talk to me if you have concerns!!!
So, does your child repeat KEYBOARD YEAR 1 or move onto KEYBOARD YEAR 2? If you are still unsure, PLEASE give me a call. I would be happy to share my observations and make a recommendation, or schedule some lessons for the summer. PLEASE let me know how I can best help you decide, and best help your child.
Thanks again for the opportunity of teaching your child!!
No comments:
Post a Comment