By Maree Zollinger
Miss Maree interviewed five different dads to get their advice on the following. Thanks, dads, for taking the time to help another guy out! -Miss Nan
1. If you could share one piece of advice with other fathers of music kids, what would that advice be?
“This is priceless time with your child that can never be replaced. Take time even if you have no interest in music or feel uncomfortable being the only dad in the room full of moms. Show your child that you can let your guard down and have fun with them. These are moments your child will remember forever. (Yes dads, holding hands in a circle and singing songs is still difficult for me but when I see the huge smile on my child's face it makes it all worth it.)
“My advice to fathers would be to not be embarrassed about singing with your kids or family. You don't have to sing well to enjoy the emotional lift that can come from singing or listening to music with your family. Music speaks to all people and it can be a healthy tool if used properly.”
“Just have fun. Your kids don't care if you look silly; in fact they have fun doing silly things with you. Also, I believe an example of singing can be powerful even if you don't think you sing well (no matter how true it may be).”
“I really do not have a lot of advice as I am trying to figure it out as I go.”
Love the candid responses! We’re ALL just trying to figure it out as we go...right? -Miss Nan
2. Why do you feel music education is important?
“I think that having an understanding of music can help in many other areas of a child's life. It opens all kinds of opportunities and allows for an open mind to other ways of thinking. I know that my son has become less shy through music class. Later in life he will be able to public speak without a lot of the common fears associated with speaking in front of others.”
“Music education is important because it helps people experience emotions that they may not otherwise feel. It's important to learn about how music can help change our attitude or help us feel and understand spiritual things. Music is a universal language that everyone can feel and learn from. The most spiritual experiences in my life have usually been accompanied with music.”
“For young kids, music is a great way to interact with the world and an engaging way to learn lots of different things. Music is also a great talent that can be enjoyed and shared with others.”
“I believe that music is a life skill and that music can be a pathway to higher thinking and encourage creativity. I also think that good music can have an influence on our emotions in a positive way.”
3. What do you do or say around your child to help validate the importance of music in your life?
“I reinforce how proud I am of his progress and let him know that this is a skill that I wish I had taken the opportunity to learn/ enjoy. I joke with him about my singing capabilities and thank him for inviting me to learn with him in class.”
“I sing in a group during the holiday season and my kids get to see how I use music to bless the lives of others. At church I make sure to sing the hymns and help them follow along and learn to sing the songs as well.”
“We share fun memories of songs (pretty easy with Youtube) and sing as a family for Family Home Evening or at church if they're willing. I also did some Piano Marvel for a month or so!”
“We try to encourage and provide opportunities to participate in music, performing arts, and visual arts. I cannot recall any conscious effort to say, we try to do things to validate art within our family and value being creative.”

No comments:
Post a Comment